What Is Network Management?
There is a lot to be answered when posing the question, “what is network management?,” but the overall idea and purpose are much easier to understand than people may think. Since a network management system facilitates a variety of processes for a company or enterprise, it’s crucial to know how each function contributes to a business’s operation, and how everyone from employees to end-users can benefit.
What Is a Network Management System?
At its core, a network management system refers to two primary concepts: the first is the process of configuring, managing, and monitoring the performance and traffic of a network. The second concept refers to the platform that IT and NetOps teams utilize to complete these tasks.
Network management services bring forth functions such as network monitoring, automation, security, data flow, and other critical tools that can either be hosted on-premise or via the cloud. In the end, the primary purpose of such functions is to produce a reliable, secure, and high-performing network.
Why Do We Need Network Management?
Companies use network management services to optimize the various components of their network. In the process, companies identify areas of improvement, reduce system downtime, and maintain an overall high level of network performance. Some functions of a network management system that provide these solutions include:
- Network Administration & Operation – These functions aim to manage, monitor, secure, and service an organization’s network, maintaining components such as servers, switches, routers, and performance monitoring.
- Network Maintenance – Errors do happen, no matter how well-structured a company’s network may be. Network maintenance seeks to fix and upgrade resources, whether it’s replacing hardware, identifying a corrupted file, or downloading new software.
- Network Accounting & Utilization – Network management systems can, of course, expand over time, meaning that employees will need to utilize more network resources that can add to costs. Network accounting is used to monitor the utilization of resources, locate anomalies, and track trends for different departments, functions, products, and users.
- Network Security Management – The expanded use of the internet for company networks means that security can often be compromised. Among other threats, viruses and security breaches—like distributed denial of service (DDoS) attacks—can jeopardize both individual and company data. A security management system is critical for preventing these incidents. Additionally, the security feature can generate and analyze data logs to look out for potential red flags.
Network Management System Models
There are varying operational models that can be used for a network management system. The two primary models are:
- On-Premises Network Management – For company networks that require greater scalability and performance, on-premises network management is an optimal choice. These services offer advanced features like analytics, assurance, artificial intelligence, and machine learning (ML). They generate a great deal of data and process the analytical insights needed to improve and maintain network performance and security.
- Cloud-Based Network Management – This type of system model provides exceptional flexibility and reach for all employees, especially for companies that are either partially or entirely remote. Cloud-based platforms offer convenient access and monitoring across well-distributed networks, and also provide a high level of configurability and customization. They can also support advanced analytics, automation, and gather large collections of data in an easily accessible manner, no matter if you’re in the office or on the go.
Transform Your Business through Technology Solutions
At Computer Resources of America (CRA), we specialize in providing your business with comprehensive IT support when and where you need it. We offer expert IT support services such as on-site advisory, cloud solutions, staffing, consulting, and IT service management to facilitate day-to-day operations and optimize productivity.
Contact us today for more information regarding our network management services or to ask any additional questions.